Ikea Kitchen Shop Flip
This Ikea Australia DUKTIG play kitchen has been a hit in our house for a few years now and has served up many unusual concoctions (broccoli ice-cream, anyone?)
Recently I saw a post from the amazing Play At Home Mummy about how she had transformed the back of her play kitchen into a play shop. So clever - a brand new place space for the kids without needing more space or more “stuff”. My kind of project ✔️
Lachy & Ted’s General Store: serving up ‘cinos since 2019 🥛☕️
- Kmart Vinyl Adhesive Chalkboard Roll $3
- Kmart Natives Tea Towel x 2, $3 each (optional)
- American Crafts Subway Alphabet Stickers $5 at Spotlight
- White POSCA pen, 0.7mm $3.94 at Officeworks
- Kmart A-Frame Chalkboard $4 (not pictured, but an alternative option to the General Store sign I made)
S T E P S T O F O L L O W
- Stick your vinyl to the upper and lower back panels. Work the vinyl from the centre to the edges of the panels to reduce the chance of bubbles.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the vinyl directly along the edge of the panel. Remove the excess vinyl.
- Place the tea towels over the rod so that they’re folded in half and tack them together using a needle and white thread. This doesn’t need to be perfect - just enough to catch the two sides of the tea towel together over the rod. If you were a stickler, you’d remove the rod and the do this step with a sewing machine but, well, ain’t nobody got time for that.
- Stick on your letters for the items for sale.
- For the General Store sign, I laminated the back of a cute little Hape wooden kitchen toy we already had. But you could just put one of Kmart’s A-Frame Chalkboards ($4).
- Design your sign (I did this myself on Illustrator but Canva would work just as well and is free). Print your sign fit the chalkboard dimensions.⠀
- Place your print out on top of the chalkboard and trace over your design using a sharp pencil, pressing down firmly enough to leave an imprint. You should be able to clearly see your design when your remove the paper.
- Using the POSCA pen, trace over the imprint and fill.
- Order your coffee (then probably go make it yourself 🙄)
- Swipe for the non-curtain option (a little more unisex)
Click/swipe through the reel for more: